The word soul mate means different things to different people. When one thinks of a "soulmate" they usually think of a person with whom they feel a deep and spiritual love for. There is usually a natural physical,mental or emotional connection to them; A soulmate relationship can be a beautiful friendship or an inspirational/intimate love.
It was often believed that each individual only had one soul mate who they were destined to meet one day; the other half of themselves that when once reunited with this love would make a whole and would thus be complete. This one true love who will complete us is often called a "twin soul" or "twin flame soulmate". Some consider that we may have numerous soulmates that we are destined to meet and become involved with in some aspect or another within our lifetimes. Soul mates can have various types of relationships that do not always involve romantic love.
They can be very close friends, co-workers, family members, teachers, or even a stranger who crosses our path for only a brief moment in time. Often the soul mates who come in and out of our lives quickly do so in order order to help us in some way or to teach us a lesson. Anyone who inspires or influences your life in some positive and sometimes even negative way depending on the situation or karmic issue involved.
We meet and interact with our soulmates in many different ways and become involved with them in many different types of relationships, often having known them in a previous lifetime as a different person possibly in a very similar situation. Many soul mates relationships or interactions occur because there is a karmic reason for them to meet, and this is usually due to an unresolved issue, spiritual/emotional connection or experience that took place in a past life. Soul mates are usually the "karmic ties that bind". Souls often reunite again in order to work out these past life issues , sometimes playing reverse roles in similar situations in the current life.
Most of us subconsiously attract our various soulmates and soulmate relationships into our lives in order to balance or work off the unresolved karma we may have with them.
This is why we are sometimes drawn to certain individuals for no apprent reason, or the more obvious "instant attraction" that occurs between strangers. Sometimes we are just drawn to these predestined individuals because we enjoy being with them on some level, and may have agreed prebirth to "meet again" in a positive way just to be with one another again.
The concepts of soulmates arose from Greek mythology. According to the story, our ancestors once had 2 heads, 4 arms. They did something to offend a god so that god punished them by splitting them down the middle, resulting in the creation of humans. As a punishment, we are condemned to spend our lives searching for the other half, our soulmates.
Many religions and spiritual paths believe in reincarnation and the concept of karma. Through reincarnation, soulmates may spend many lifetimes together in past lives. Other spiritual methods of searching for one's soulmate are astrology, numerology, palm reading, personality types, and magic. Modern spritual paths often blend western and eastern philosophies.
These are people that we encounter through their life. These are usually friends, teachers, mentors, or other people who have helped you achieving a life's goal or helped you out of a crisis.
These types of soulmate are your closest friends or a person whom you really click with. According to those who believe in reincarnation, you have already met them in a past life, and in this life you are continuing the relationship. There is an emotional bond between these soulmates and each is able to sense the feelings of each other..
This is the most popular type of soulmate. There is usually one twin flame soulmate for each of us. Twin flame soulmates have spent multiple lifetimes together in past lives. There is incredible chemistry and attraction towards each other. They "complete" each other and only few lucky people are able to find their twin flame soulmate. Twin flame soulmates, if separated, usually suffer enormous pain.
* Feeling a sense of déjà vu - we've done this before, we've been here before. Familiarity with surroundings and people associated with the soul mate candidate.
* A synchronicity of events or outside forces that bring you together. It's as though the universe takes over to control your destiny. You may be reading the same book and know the same people. Things are just a little too coincidental.
* Immediate attraction and chemistry. Love at first sight. Physically comfortable togetherness.
* Although you've just met, you deeply understand one another. There is an immediate kinship. You just click.
* This person has surfaced in your dreams. You recognize the face and mannerisms.
* You both have interests in a particular culture or country. A yearning to explore these areas. The same foreign dishes may appeal to you too.
* An intuitive feeling that this relationship was predestined. Upon meeting, you just knew you would be together.
* The recognition of the soul is most often found in the eyes. The soul mate's eyes seem to just pull you in. Also, the voice is another telling sign. The sound of the voice may strike a familiar chord.
* If you must force feelings, that person is not your soul mate. A true soul mate opens your heart naturally and effortlessly.
Soulmates Links & Resources
Links to websites with information and inspirational content related to Soulmates, twinflames and conscious relationships. TwinFlameSoulmates.com
A site about twin flame soulmates and divine love, with videos, articles and advice for the twin soul journey.